Pages

Usain Bolt makes history in Rio with third 100m win, Justin Gatlin second

/CREDIT: AFP PHOTO / OLIVIER MORINOLIVIER MORIN/AFP/GETTY IMAGES/

Jamaica's Usain Bolt became the first athlete to win three Olympic 100m titles by beating American Justin Gatlin to gold at Rio 2016.

After his slow start, the Jamaican sped past the rest of the field  including his rival Justin Gatlin  and finished in 9.81 seconds to defend the title he won at the Beijing 2008 and London 2012 Games. He became the first person to win three consecutive Olympic 100m titles.
Usain Bolt races aren’t races. They are events, shows, entertainment distilled to its essence, and the 47,000 people here and billion or so worldwide who watched Sunday night were not disappointed. The fastest man ever isn’t ready to give up his title as the fastest man in the world quite yet.

/GETTY IMAGES/

"I expected to go faster, but I'm happy that I won," Bolt told BBC Sport. "I'm here to perform. I did what I had to."

"Somebody said I can become immortal. Two more medals to go and I can sign off immortal," he said.

His mission is to complete the triple triple – the 100m, 200m and 4 x 100m relay at three successive Olympic Games, thereby taking his gold medal collection to nine.

He is also fast at Tweeting 

No comments:

Post a Comment