Pages

Spanish swimmer given second chance to qualify after false start

Miguel Duran Navia dived in too early in his preliminary heat of the 400-metre freestyle, triggering an automatic disqualification.
He slapped the water and hung his head on the lane line, realising he was out of Saturday's heats.

     /Image BBC/    

The heartbreak was evident within seconds. Rising to the surface, he buried his face in his hands and slowly made his way to the side of the pool. All the while, the crowd cheered, getting louder and louder as he collected his shoes, tracksuit and cut a forlorn figure by disappearing under the bleachers.

    /Image BBC/

"I heard something from the stand and so I did what I did. It was a false start. I thought I was disqualified but I was told that everything was fine to swim," Duran Navia said afterwards.
A few minutes later, he had to shake off those emotions and get ready for his Olympic moment. After Duran Navia left the deck, judges deliberated and determined that a sound in the crowd was the reason for the false start.

No comments:

Post a Comment